Friday, June 11, 2010

Anne's Tree

My dear Aunt Anne passed away this past Saturday of lung cancer.  She was both extremely talented and stubbornly ornery.  Her art quilts were a sight to behold, if you did indeed get a chance to see them. She hid them away as fast as she worked on them.  Like me, her artwork was "not quite finished, not yet good enough."  We shared a type of fear of showing things off.  But she believed in me.  Whenever I showed her a piece I had been working on, she'd always say something in a feisty possesive tone like, "That one is miiine!".  Well, the painting above truly was hers.  It hangs above the mantle in my aunt and uncle's living room and I'd like to think this first of my tree ladies watched over her and kept her at peace during my aunt's last days...at least I hope it did.

My aunt had quit smoking many years ago, but I guess it just wasn't soon enough.  I have a love/hate relationship with smoking.  I dearly love so many of my friends and family that smoke...but I truly hate it.  I don't judge anyone that smokes (I have my own bad habits)...but I do wish they would take a moment to reconsider.
Aunt Anne, you will be remembered fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment