Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blacklight Paper Mache Poison Ivy Mask

For Halloween this year I decided to go as my own version of Poison Ivy.  I always make Halloween costumes difficult on myself, so I figured I would do 2 things I had never attempted before to ensure inevitable disaster.  The first was to create my costume out of colored duct tape.  I've had a fondness for duct tape since I was a little.  I mean if MacGyver can escape the clutches of evil with just a bit of bubble gum and duct tape, why can't I make a super hot costume.
The super hot part turned out to be a given, since duct tape has absolutely no breathability.  After spending hours and hours creating a "leaf" skirt from just duct tape and pipe cleaners, it was finally ready to try on. AND I ripped it-right down the zipper I had so cleverly installed.  Please keep in mind, I do not sew.
Anyhoo, I decided to not steam cook my entire body and  abandoned the idea of doing a bustier to match.  Dying a white wife-beater in neon green sounded much more reasonable.
Ok, so on to the mask: I had been wanting to do a paper mache mask for awhile, so I got to vaseline-ing my forehead and slathering my face in plaster gauze.  I kept adding and adding to the base, because I really just don't know when to quit and didn't figure into how heavy this would weigh on the bridge of my nose.  Ya, it got pretty frickin heavy.
I also knew that I would be going to a party that I had already equipped with blacklights and I LOOOOVEE blacklight paint...so I did it up.  Plus, I had ordered some blacklight reflective contact lenses.  I need to get the pro-pics from that, because it was freaking people out.
OK, so here are the crappy pictures of the results (first one is with my buddy Albert the pimp):












No comments:

Post a Comment