Tuesday, May 18, 2010

bookmarks


Just some paper bookmarks I made with variations of my logo by hand-stamping, hand-drawing, hand-printing, hand-embellishing...my tiny little rebellion against mass production and the computer.  Notice how each one is slightly different. It's not that I think computer and digitally produced or enhanced images are not an artform...they most definitely are! But I am a sucker for tradition, the old fashioned, the charm of a few flaws, the reality of imperfection and that personal connection that is made and received from something that is made completely individual...even if it is a "copy".
In an age where so many things are done and made at lightning speed and with no transferrence of another's sweat, thoughts, emotions or soul...I find myself seeking the opposite. 
I'm the person that would rather wait in line (maybe even impatiently) with my one or two items for a register with a person than save myself 2 or 5 or 10 extra minutes by zipping through the automated line.  I refuse to  have a human face...a personal exchange...a breathing soul replaced by some impersonal, condescending computer voice telling me to "re-scan item".  I want to choke that snide little witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment